One important way of helping our campaign for Labour Party Open Selection is to put a supporting motion to your CLP or branch. Here is a model motion that you can adapt for the purpose
CLP Model Motion
This branch/CLP believes:
that being a Labour MP should not be a job for life;
that candidates should be selected openly without restrictions before each general election;
that all individual and affiliate members should be able to participate in the selection of candidates;
that the existing system of trigger ballots prevents this from happening and creates unnecessary antagonisms, turning what should be a normal open process into an implied vote of no confidence in a sitting Labour MP;
that a fully democratised Labour Party based on the principle of One Member One Vote is the best way to ensure the election of a Labour government with the strength and resolve to create a fair and just society for the many, not the few.
- resolves to support the Labour International CLP rule change motion to party conference 2018, calling for Open Selection of all parliamentary candidates;
- agrees to make a donation of xxx to Labour International CLP’s campaign fund;
- calls upon the NEC to endorse and support the LI Rule Change motion;
Putting a motion to your CLP or branch
Depending on how the Constituency Labour Party (CLP) is organised, there are two different ways of getting it to support our motion.
- If the main decision-making body of the CLP is an All Members Meeting, send your motion in good time to the secretary of the CLP.
- If the main decision-making body is a General Committee, you must first put your motion to your branch or to one of the socialist societies (BAME, Irish, and so on) or a union affiliated to the CLP.
The formal support of the CLP for a motion will be a strong guideline for the CLP’s delegates to vote in favour of our motion at the Labour Party Conference in September.